I'm a proud and lifelong FSU fan! I grew up near Tallahassee, FL and from infancy have attended and enjoyed various Florida State sporting events. Even as this year's disappointing football season comes to a close my allegiance doesn't waver a bit. As a young child, even up through my high school years, FSU football was mediocre at best and often downright dismal. But along came Bobby Bowden in 1976 and since that time Florida State has been among the best in the nation. Since 1976 we've only had 2 head coaches while our rivals at the University of Florida have had 12, Alabama has had 9, and Auburn has had 6. Stability is a wonderful thing!
And while us FSU fans are now accustomed to such stability we're perhaps on the verge of losing our coach, Jimbo Fisher. And while I don't know enough of what's actually going on behind the scenes to make any intelligent comment about the pros and cons of him leaving, I can absolutely say that it's frustrating not knowing who your coach is going to be next season ... or even next week! And to be honest, this isn't the first time Fisher has flirted with the possibility of leaving. After each of the past 3 seasons he and his agent have allowed his name to float around as a possible candidate for other jobs (actually it's happened more than just these past 3 years!) It's been generally understood that this was done to gain some "leverage" in negotiating higher salaries for himself and assistant coaches as well as for better facilities and such. But it seems like the school administration is tiring of this yearly event and, combined with an extremely disappointing season, may be calling his bluff and allowing him to have to make the decision this time. Regardless, for us fans it's a nerve-wracking and distracting process.
Of course, in the big scheme of things, worrying about a football coach's commitment to you is trivial. There are myriads of kids who will go to bed tonight wondering if both parents will still be in the home next week. A large part of the work force lives in constant fear that their boss may terminate their job soon. Huge numbers of church members across America wonder if their pastor will stay or go. Business people stress over the common practice of people backing out on contracts. Aging parents live with the anxiety that their children may eventually abandon them as they become too burdensome. Millions of husbands and wives are concerned about their spouse's faithfulness to the marriage. If you're reading this, you're probably right now concerned about somebody's faithfulness and commitment to you. The world we live in is broken, commitments are forsaken and broken every day.
But if we're a child of God there's one person we NEVER have to worry about leaving us or breaking a contract!
- "I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offpsiring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant." - Genesis 17:7
- "I will not leave you or forsake you" - Joshua 1:5
- "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." - Lamentations 3:22-23
- "For the Lord will not forsake his people." - Psalm 94:15
- "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. - John 10:28-29
- "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38-39